- 1Lb beans of any color (black, pinto, kidney, fava)
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 garlic clover peeled and chopped
- 1 cube Knorr chicken bullion (or veggie bullion for a vegetarian version)
- 1 onion peeled and choped
- 3 scallion stalks cleaned and cut
- A pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of bacon fat (or plain old olive oil for a vegetarian version)
Step one: (Do this the night before you plan on having this dish)
– Wash your beans in a colander, the beans are dusty and you want to get rid of that.
– Put the beans in a large bowl.
– Cover the beans with water, plus 2-3 cups more. I know it is not an exact measurement but each different bean will take different amounts of water.
– Let them soak for a few hours, preferably overnight.
Your beans are all happy and soaked, now it is time to cook it. I will tell you how to make it in the pressure cooker. Drain your beans and rinse them again.
-Add the beans to the pressure cooker, cover with water then add 2 more cups.
-Add the bay leaves
-Cover pressure cooker, bring the pressure up and cook on low pressure for about 40 minutes.
Keep the beans hot while you prep your seasonings.
In a deep stock pan:
-Sautee the garlic in the bacon fat until it turns golden,
-Add the onion, sautée for a minute or so.
-Add black pepper
-Add the hot beans, one ladle at the time. This is where the bean magic happens. Your beans need to be hot for this step to work well.
-Add the bullion cube,
-Simmer for 40 minutes
– Add the scallions,
– Shut the heat off and serve with your authentic Brasilian rice.